Why Martin $ky's 'If Everyone Ever Told Y'all That They Know Me, They Lied' Is His Final Project Equally A Rapper

Photo past Michael Brandt

Martin $ky has been figuring things out. Expect at the trajectory of his career and the themes of his work, the search for change, meaning and bulldoze has been central throughout. He'southward been looking for his place, and this isn't new; his starting time project that broke him through was titled Everywhere But Here. While the project made Martin $ky a name among fans of Chicago hip-hop, his compass was really moving him in the wrong management. Moving past the cognitive dissonance and ennui was only possible once Martin $ky was able to get to the heart of the affair with a bold move, a motion that I'thousand inclined to agree with. His new project is titled If Anybody Ever Told You That They Know Me, They Lied, and it'due south his concluding work as a rapper.

Breathe securely, he'due south not quitting music, but his time as a rapper is over as he moves back to an emphasis on his showtime love. It's what set up him apart on day one, production. The truth is, production is why we know Martin $ky, why you're reading near him, why I'm writing almost him (or writing, menstruum – my showtime piece was on his Everywhere But Here release party). His production has e'er been something dissimilar, creating worlds where others create beats. This hasn't changed on the new projection, except the range of sound and emotion has diversified greatly. While Martin $ky has e'er had a audio of his ain, on If Anybody Ever Told Yous... he takes chances to aggrandize on this, going far beyond the heavy Martin $ky beats he first cutting his teeth on with Everywhere Simply Here.Those beats were bangers, simply this anthology sees $ky creating a universe out of thin air.

And that gives yous an idea of why he's taking his career in this direction. While some of the write ups for If Anybody Ever Told You...take expressed disappointment at his determination, I can't merits to empathize this sentiment. Since his 2015 debut, Martin $ky's talents accept been continuously underrated. Information technology'due south difficult not to share his conclusion that being existence stuck on the mic played a role, ultimately proving the dual artist label to exist more curse than blessing. Would he non know best? That'southward probably where it gets twisted; usually, rappers' message comes in the vessel of lyricism, wrapped in a beat to exist easily consumed past listeners. For Martin $ky, it's the opposite, nosotros did not recognize this and equally such had it completely backwards. Continue reading below for a conversation with Martin $ky on the large question, "why"?

What does producing make y'all feel, and how did rapping make you feel?

"When I produce, I feel invincible and at true peace. I'yard doing what I love and I'm fully consumed past it in that moment. Can't really explain how at ease I am when I'm creating. It's where I wanna be. When I rap though, I feel similar I'm simply doing it because I have to. It's not even real sometimes and since I didn't truly love rapping, it drained me mentally."

Where did your expectations of rapping non lucifer with the reality?

"It wasn't fifty-fifty about my expectations. I'm happy with how far I got. I knew I could've kept going and went further, just at what cost? My mental wellness and happiness is all that matters to me. I lied to myself for years telling myself I kinda like to rap. I don't enjoy it at all at this point. Not even performing. I just rather non. Just isn't my passion. When I was younger, I was all almost it since I figured no ane would listen to my beats alone, but now I know that in that location'southward a lane for artists to practise so and I have a platform that I've built for myself to share my thoughts instrumentally rather than lyrically. I just had to go the backbone to really say it out loud. I don't want to exist a rapper anymore. I only want to produce."

What's dissimilar nearly production for you when it comes to self - expression?

"When I produce, I tin say and so much more without even speaking. I tin let you into parts of my mind that aren't and so accessible to just anyone. I can prove you every shade and color of my artistic cocky through sound. Plus, I'm not a large talker. I judge you could say I'm shy at times, only I'thou confident in my piece of work too. I'g just not very outspoken. I don't thing of it every bit a weakness either. I speak when I feel the need to rather than saying things just because. And over time, I learned that I just don't have much to say literally, but I have so many unlike vibes and feelings I want to share. Words just aren't my tool. I've e'er known this deep down. Only people seemed to enjoy me rapping. It'due south cool, but whatever."

Y'all had mentioned that rapping was becoming toxic to your mental health, because yous were telling yourself information technology was your passion when it wasn't. Was there a specific moment that brought you to this determination?

"I hated rapping and then much that all of my music became dark this year and this grapheme that I created began to consume who I was equally a person. All twelvemonth I was depressed and dealt with some really shitty anxiety and insomnia on peak of information technology all. It sucked. I stopped hanging out with my friends so much and I kinda cutting a lot of people off thinking that I could only deal with it all and sort information technology out on my ain just being in my head. Ever since I've stopped though, I've been the happiest I tin can remember in years. I wouldn't trade this feeling for anything. I can hear the difference in the music I've been making recently which I programme on sharing with you all in the new year's day. My friends that I've played the new music for concur too. They hear exactly why I switched my focus to product."

As the newly refocused Martin $ky, what do you lot now promise to achieve in 2017?

"At this bespeak, I'chiliad making music for me. I just want to share how I'm feeling with the world through my beats. I'thou doing what I love and I'one thousand happy. I simply wanna stay happy next year. Production is exactly what I demand to accomplish that. And any of my peers that believe in me and trust my sound have came to me for production and y'all'll be hearing these songs somewhen. I also plan on placing records with bigger artists which I'chiliad already working on also. Some DJ sets besides. I've really been practicing and getting into that. It's way more than fun than jumping around yelling on stage. 2017 should be a fun one for sure. I'thou excited. :)"

More Features